By Justin Long
Join us in beseeching (δέομαι) the Lord of the Harvest this week for…
1. those devastated by the floods in Libya. Torrential rains from a hurricane-strength storm caused two dams to burst, flooding the port city of Derna and washing thousands of homes and people out to sea. The current death toll is over 11,000, and could rise to over 20,000. International aid—enough for 250,000 people—has begun to arrive in Benghazi. Pray for the workers, for the families of loved ones, and for some good to come out of this horror.
2. those devastated by the earthquake in Morocco. The worst earthquake to hit the country in 100 years, it “destroyed everything,” and killed over 2,900 people. Whole villages were wiped out, and moreover, many local farms and economies were destroyed as well. Reconstruction could take decades. For many, reconstruction of what was lost will be impossible on their own. Thank God for the Christians—both local and foreign—who are being a blessing in this situation.
3. the many who are displaced in Somalia. Over a quarter of the population have had to abandon their homes due to the terrible drought. Many have lost their livestock. We pray for ministries that will be a blessing to them during this very difficult time. We also pray that God will reveal himself to many, and meet their spiritual hunger as well.
4. the persecuted church in India. The most recent example of mob violence against a church in the capital reminds us that the lives and property of believers and their families are often at risk. We pray for God’s comfort for those who have been hurt, and the families of those who have been killed, while also praying boldly for the Kingdom to expand in southern Asia.
5. for the release of the 18 aid workers with the International Assistance Mission, who have been detained by the Taliban on suspicion of proselytizing.
6. We praise God for the expansion of the church in Mongolia: to over 60,000 believers, and probably far more! We pray for those who follow Jesus to learn to be earnest disciples who obey God’s Word and spread the Kingdom in their communities. We pray for the spread of the Gospel throughout the 150+ counties in Mongolia without a church.
7. for the talks between Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi rebels and the Saudis, which could possibly lead to peace. We pray for justice, and an end to the violence, and for additional possibilities for the spread of the Gospel in Yemen.
This is a weekly guide to beseeching (δέομαι/deomai, Matthew 9) the Lord of the Harvest for the unreached peoples and places of the world. Written by Justin Long, it’s based on the events listed in his Weekly Roundup, as well as on information received from disciple-making movements and other sources around the world. If you’re interested in his Weekly Roundup (out each Friday), you can see a sample and sign up for it here.