From Seed to Fruit: Global Trends, Fruitful Practices, and Emerging Issues among Muslims
by J. Dudley Woodberry, ed.
William Carey Library, 1605 E. Elizabeth St., Pasadena, Calif. 91104, 2008, 428 pages, includes a CD with supplemental resources on global trends and fruitful practices, $20.99.
—Reviewed by Scott Hedley, a research associate in Asia.
God is doing exciting new things in bringing Muslims to faith in Christ, and God’s people are using new practices to establish fellowships of new followers of Christ. But which of these practices are the most effective and bearing the most fruit? Several mission agencies gathered to discuss this topic. These discussions were then refined by a group of field workers in a consultation in the spring of 2007. This research was further analyzed and then compiled in this volume. From Seed to Fruit contains scholarly research on effective witness to Christ among Muslim peoples. Here is a brief summary of some of the important issues discussed:
- What are the factors that led to and lead to the spread of Islam?
- What does it take for a language group to be engaged?
- Which oral communication strategies are bearing fruit?
- How can we offer to pray for our Muslim friends?
- How can emerging fellowships not only survive but also thrive despite hostile scrutiny?
- Should we consider empowering mosque leaders to lead discussions about the scriptures? If so, how can we do this?
- What are some ways we can partner with local churches, local evangelists, other mission agencies, and even community leaders (like the man or woman of peace)?
- Case study examples of why certain communities choose to be C-6, C-5, C-4, C-3, and C-1 & 2.
- Why is Bible storytelling so effective?
- Biblical passages that relate to the choosing of leaders and how both the apostolic church planters and the local community can work together to select leaders.
- Types of holistic healing prayer that are occurring in the Muslim world. The case studies on healing prayer are insightful because they show that God can speak to people even before they become believers.
- How simple commitments to peacemaking have contributed to the development of fellowships.
Whether you are a field practitioner or support those who bring good news to Muslims, you will greatly benefit from the information in this book.
Copyright © 2009 Evangelism and Missions Information Service (EMIS). All rights reserved. Not to be reproduced or copied in any form without written permission from EMIS.