Current attitudes to evangelism cluster around two poles: presence” and “proclamation.” “Christian presence” is a term in vogue in ecumenical circles. To date, however, there seems to be little formal exposition of its meaning. What is available must for the most part be gleaned from various periodicals.1
- Webinar: Spiritual Direction: A Growing Practice in Missions and Member CareThu Aug 22 2019, 02:00 pm EDT - 03:15 pm EDT
- Webinar: Stewardship of Short-Term Missions with an Emphasis on DiscipleshipThu Aug 29 2019, 02:00 pm EDT - 03:15 pm EDT
- LeaderSHIFTs: Pursuing a Culture of Shared Leadership between Men and WomenMon Sep 16 2019, 12:00pm EDT - Tue Sep 17 2019, 12:00pm EDT
- Mission Leaders Conference 2019Thu Sep 19 2019, 2:00pm EDT - Sat Sep 21 2019, 12:00pm EDT
- Webinar: New Ways to Tell the Old StoryThu Oct 10 2019, 02:00 pm EDT - 03:15 pm EDT
A study of church and society in Africa most easily focuses on the influence of the institutional church on the emerging societies of that continent. But while there is a social and political aspect to most church actions, so there is a religious dimension in the development of new African socio-political institutions.
Mr. Detzler’s article, based on a survey of current mission policy, shows that North American boards are grappling with a serious problem: how to relate their evangelistic calling to an established church. The Evangelische Kirche in Deutschland is not a state church (though the respondents to Mr. Detzler’s survey, as quoted, call it that).
Man fights to lose his lostness without being saved. The scientific optimist would settle the matter by dismissing God from his universe. The scientist will grant that the human condition has its problems, but they are all solvable.
nstitutions are those ministries whose intrinsic purpose is not considered to be the preaching of the Word or the building of the body of Christ. Some mission authorities speak of them as “services” while others speak of them as “secondary ministries”: medicine, education, agriculture and numerous others.