Anthology Vol.7 No.1 (December 2019)
Over the course of 2019, our community has been looking at Future Mission. We have been asking where is mission heading, how do we react to changes in our future and how do we create the future?
In the past fifty years of Great Commission history some significant shifts have changed the course of the Church. To my mind come these three:
- The Unreached People Group Paradigm was introduced
- The first large wave of Global South leaders took their place in the Great Commission
- China experienced a Spiritual Revolution in contrast to Mao’s Cultural Revolution
These are just some of the many changes we have seen in our recent history. Fast forward and we may see changes like this:
- No more large, Unengaged, Unreached People groups
- The first large wave of Muslim Background Believers taking up the responsibility of the Great Commission
- China becoming a missionary sending force
Should our Lord tarry, there are vast challenges before us in the years ahead. Among them are cultural shifts in the West, huge waves of immigration, and depopulation in the 2050s. Despite these changes Hebrews 13:8 reminds us of a great truth: Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. As we face the future, we face it with confidence.
Looking ahead to the next year our theme is Focus 2020: The Great Commission, What is our Goal? We will wrestle with the big issues behind how we understand Christ’s command to us to disciple the nations. We will affirm our historic commitments to the Great Commission while understanding it anew in the day and age in which we live.
Thanks for your service and contribution to this, the greatest adventure in history.
J. Ted Esler, PhD