EMQ Writer Guidelines
EMQ receives articles from anyone who has a fresh idea pertaining to world missions. We are not a scholarly journal written for academics, but desire material that is academically respectable, reflecting careful thought and practical application to mission professionals, mission pastors, and especially working missionaries. We like to see problems not only diagnosed but solved either by way of narrative illustration or compelling proposal.
About the EMQ Audience
- Missionaries, mission agency executives, mission professors, missionary candidates, students, school/church libraries, mission pastors, mission-minded church leaders, mission supporters, and agency board members.
- Over half of our readers live and work overseas serving with over a hundred different denominations and sending agencies.
- They are well educated; two-thirds of them have graduate degrees.
- They work at hundreds of different missionary ministries, most of them as church planters and teachers.
- They are most interested in cultural and biblical values, Christianity and culture, church and culture, discipleship processes, evangelism methods, church planting methods, and leadership training methods.
- They do not see EMQ as a scholarly journal; rather they see it as a very readable, informative, stimulating, and practical professional publication.
- Five times as many readers describe EMQ as extremely practical compared to extremely theoretical.
Criteria by Which Articles Are Evaluated
- Importance of subject to our readers
- Freshness and creativity
- Clarity and readability
- Development and depth
- Support and resources
- Convincing arguments
- Accuracy and validity
- Overall treatment of a subject
- Length: 2,000–3,000 words. If more than 3,000 words, the article may be returned to you or edited by EMQ staff.
- When citing sources, use endnotes at the end of the article, not footnotes at the bottom of pages.
How to Submit Your Article
- Send by email with this subject line: EMQ article submission – (Your last name) (your first initial). Sample: EMQ article submission – Smith J
- Attach your article as a WORD document (.doc or .docx), including a two to three sentence bio at the end of the article.
- If your article includes an image(s), chart(s), and/or graphic(s) related/appropriate to the topic, besides being embedded in the article, each must be attached as a separate file (.jpg format).
- Submit your article (and any images, etc.) to: EMQ-Editor@MissioNexus.org
The copyright of all published submissions is owned by EMQ. Reprint guidelines are provided upon submission publication or can be requested at the time of submission.
You’re invited to download these guidelines: EMQ Writer Guidelines.