REGIONAL DIRECTOR, SOUTH ASIA
Regional Directors at visionSynergy are at the forefront of our work to accelerate the Great Commission by equipping leaders and developing mission networks to facilitate high-impact ministry collaboration in priority areas of world mission. Our Regional Directors are a team with diverse ministry backgrounds who share a common commitment to leadership development, ministry collaboration, and advancing the Gospel in every place where Christ is not yet known. We are currently seeking a Regional Director to expand our work in South Asia. The Regional Director will work with the entire program team to develop strategies and implement our ministry programs in multiple countries across the South Asia region.
visionSynergy is a unique ministry and the Regional Director is a unique role. We don’t expect candidates for this position to have extensive experience in the development of mission networks. We are seeking an individual who can learn quickly and can bring their own experience in coaching, consulting, or training into our unique ministry field. We want someone who exhibits wisdom, optimism, cross-cultural sensitivity, and a deep understanding of the current state of ministry and mission in the South Asia region.
We would prefer a candidate who:
- has ministry experience in one or more countries in South Asia
- has lived or worked in the South Asia region
- can communicate in English and either Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Nepali or other South Asian language with high-level proficiency
- has personal contacts and existing relationships in the region across multiple ministries, organizations, etc.
- has experience as a leader/facilitator/member of an inter-organizational network, partnership, or other collaborative initiative
- Full time position
- Remote (any location, prefer U.S. / Pacific time zone)
- U.S. domestic & international travel (30%)
- Fully-funded position, competitive salary
- 401(k) retirement match (5%)
- Health reimbursement arrangement (premiums and expenses)
- Home office stipend
- Professional development stipend
- Generous paid time off (20 days vacation, 10 holidays, etc.)
- Flexible hours
- Note: Non-U.S. citizens may have a different compensation and benefits package
- Prefer candidate who can be seconded from another ministry organization
- Prefer candidate with experience in deputized fundraising
PRIMARY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Developing regional ministry strategies and key relationships (30%)
- Work with other Regional Directors to develop strategies for regional program implementation aligned with our mission
- Support current work in India, Nepal, and other countries of South Asia by providing coaching, consulting, and training for mission network leaders
- Identify and prioritize opportunities for ministry expansion to other countries in the region
- Conduct ongoing research and participate in key meetings, consultations, and conferences in order to maintain a pulse on mission trends, challenges, and opportunities in the region
- Build and maintain a personal network of ministry contacts in the region
- Identify and engage with potential partner organizations in country or across the region
- Direct strategic investment toward effective mission networks and collaborative initiatives with a high potential to advance the Gospel and make a significant spiritual and social impact in their areas of ministry
Recruiting and overseeing National Associates (20%)
National Associates are ministry and mission leaders in their respective countries. Our National Associates are experienced and influential people whose own vision aligns with ours and who share our commitment to advancing ministry collaboration in their countries and in the wider region. Some National Associates work with us on a part-time basis while others dedicate nearly full-time efforts in partnering with us to implement various ministry programs in-country.
- Identify, recruit, equip, and partner with National Associates in multiple countries within the region to implement programs for leadership development and the launch of effective mission networks in high-priority areas
- Work with National Associates to identify and engage potential partner organizations in country
- Work with National Associates to identify, recruit, coach, and train catalytic leaders
Implementing ministry programs and services in the region (40%)
Regional Directors work as a program team to develop and refine effective, culturally appropriate programs that provide coaching, consulting, training, and strategic investment for catalytic leaders with a vision to build mission networks or other collaborative initiatives for spiritual and social impact in their areas of ministry.
- Provide leadership coaching & training – Work with National Associates and partner organizations to identify, recruit, coach, train, and equip leaders through our Synergy Catalyst Program – a two-year, cohort-based, leadership development program; Recruit local coaches and trainers; Facilitate training cohorts which meet periodically face-to-face or online; Engage in personal coaching with selected leaders from one or more cohorts
- Host leadership summits and other gatherings – Work with National Associates and partner organizations to host local, national, or regional leadership summits and other gatherings to connect ministry leaders and cast a vision for the power and potential of collaboration in their ministry fields
- Conduct workshops and other training events – Work with National Associates and partner organizations to conduct workshops and other training events for ministry leaders in the region
- Consult with operational mission networks – Provide strategic advice and consultation for the leadership teams of mission networks to empower their effective development and operation
- Direct investments to key networks and high-potential initiatives – Direct strategic investments toward the leaders, networks, and collaborative initiatives with a high potential to advance the Gospel and make significant spiritual and social impacts in their communities
Developing organizational capacity and other responsibilities (10%)
- Work with the program team to develop new coaching/consulting/training tools and other materials, including translation and production for localized use
- Work with the program team to develop new program approaches, conduct field research, and assess the impact of our programs
- Work with the development team to write major grant proposals and report on progress
- Contribute to reports for the Board, donors, and other constituents to communicate the impact of our work in the region
- Speak, present, or facilitate discussions in conferences, webinars, etc.
Character and working style
- Mature disciple and follower of Christ
- Exhibits humility, generosity, integrity, and perseverance
- Proven record as a strong team player and individual contributor
- Results oriented yet flexible in ambiguous and rapidly-changing situations
- Demonstrated ability to lead by influence rather than by authority
- Self-starter, motivated, takes initiative
- Thrives in a multi-cultural environment with a constant exchange of diverse ideas
- Positive and optimistic mindset
Mission background & South Asia region experience
- Passion for the Great Commission and the unreached
- Awareness of current trends in global mission, especially mission among Hindu, Muslim, and Buddhist peoples of South Asia
- Awareness of current political and social trends in the South Asia region
- Awareness of security needs and practices for mission work in the South Asia region
- International background with cross-cultural work experience
- Substantial experience in one or more countries in South Asia, with an abiding love and goodwill for the peoples of the South Asia region
- Ability to interact appreciatively and non-dogmatically with Christians from other theological, denominational, doctrinal, and cultural backgrounds
- Strong belief in the importance of ministry collaboration toward common mission goals
- Has lived or worked in the region and speaks/reads/writes English and either Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Nepali or other South Asian language with high-level proficiency
- Preferred – Has personal contacts and existing relationships in the region across multiple ministries, organizations, etc.
Coaching, consulting, and training experience
- Extensive experience in coaching, consulting, or training (especially in the context of Christian ministry/mission)
- Demonstrated group facilitation skills
- Strong commitment to leadership development
Management & Network experience
- 3-5 years of direct supervisory experience or team leadership including budgetary responsibility
- Preferred – Experience as a leader/facilitator/member of an inter-organizational network, partnership, or other collaborative initiative
- High-level proficiency in spoken and written English and either Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Nepali or other South Asian language
- Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills
- Ability to think strategically and to communicate complex ideas clearly and effectively
- Ability to create cogent presentations and reports
- Ability to provide sensitive, culturally appropriate communication to constituents whose first language may not be English
- Preferred – Experience as a “storyteller” – producing presentations, reports, interviews, videos, articles, or other materials that communicate stories of impact
Technical and project management skills
- Proficiency with MS Office apps and cloud-based communication, collaboration, and project management applications and tools such as the Google Workspace Suite, Zoom, Slack, Trello, Asana, etc.
- Strong project management skills across all phases of projects including: project initiation; definition and planning; implementation; task and budget management/monitoring/reporting; and closure
- Experience with small event planning and implementation
Travel and remote work requirements
- Able to work independently and effectively on a remote team
- Able to flex working hours to accommodate periodic meetings with team members across multiple time zones
- Experienced with international travel; prefer passport free of restrictions to travel in South Asia
- U.S. domestic and international travel up to 30%
visionSynergy plays a unique role in the worldwide Christian movement as a mission service organization specifically dedicated to advancing ministry collaboration. visionSynergy empowers Christian organizations to work together for maximum impact by developing and strengthening strategic ministry networks and partnerships in high-priority areas of world mission.
The core of our work is providing leadership coaching and advisory services for numerous inter-organizational networks and partnerships of Christian ministries and mission organizations. We act as a catalyst, coach, and consultant – encouraging the leaders of these groups to accomplish together what they could never do alone as they seek to advance the Gospel in every place and among every people where Christ is not yet known. In addition to our coaching and advisory services, we provide a variety of tools and training to equip leaders within the specific networks we serve as well as the broader Christian community. As a global advocate for collaboration, we encourage Christian leaders everywhere to adopt a partnership approach to ministry in their own contexts.
visionSynergy is a small team with a wide range of skills and experiences. We have lived, worked, and traveled in numerous countries. Members of our team have formed, facilitated, or advised more than one hundred large-scale collaborative initiatives over the past 30 years. We currently advise missional networks and partnerships which collectively involve nearly 2,000 Christian organizations around the world. We also work together to deliver dozens of online and onsite equipping activities and events throughout the year including a semi-annual international conference, keynotes, webinars, workshops, courses, and more.
visionSynergy is supported by a generous group of financial investors who understand the leveraged power of collaboration. The majority of our funding comes through large grants from Christian foundations and high-capacity donors. visionSynergy is a healthy organization with strong supporters, a proven track record, and an engaged and energetic board of directors who provide oversight and strategic direction for the ministry.
For more information about visionSynergy, please visit:
To download the full job description, please visit:
To begin your application for this position, please send a letter of introduction and resume to Kevin Mason, Senior Director of Global Programs:
To apply for this job email your details to applyRDSA@visionsynergy.net