Website SIM USA
Title: Chief Information Officer
Reports to: U.S. Director SIM USA
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
The SIM USA chief information officer (CIO) is responsible for setting the strategic direction for technology across the organization and leading the Software Services and Infrastructure & Service Desk teams to execute the strategic technology roadmap. This role includes serving as a strategic advisor on and to the executive leadership team, factoring in objectives and challenges across all departments to inform the technology roadmap.
The person in this position will oversee internal objectives such as focus on security as well as user-friendly and integrated applications (for SIM USA staff, applicants, donors, and missionaries). They will enable accessible data for reporting and increased focus on industry-standard software as service applications and cloud-based services. They will replace legacy custom code and on-premises hardware and reduce dependency on a small group of knowledge experts. They will ensure that IT staff and contractors are maintained at adequate levels, and for ongoing performance improvement.
In essence, the CIO will ensure SIM USA has the technology to provide exceptional services to all our constituents while advancing our mission to recruit, prepare, and journey with Christians sent by churches to go and make disciples where needed most.
This important role provides a challenging opportunity for leadership and strategic analysis, and also to set direction, serve a global organization, and provide technology counsel to decision-makers.
SIM USA needs a strategic leader to collaboratively set goals and standards, monitor and project technology’s performance to keep the ministry healthy, and help the U.S. director and other leaders accomplish SIM USA’s strategic outcomes and steward resources to help accomplish the purpose of SIM.
– Direct responsibility for all aspects of technology
– Member of the Direction Group – executive leadership on strategic direction and issues
– Director of Software Services
– Director of Infrastructure & Service Desk
Works Closely With
– Executive leadership team at SIM USA, which includes Finance, Advancement, Personnel, People Care, and Recruitment.
– Various department managers
– Audit Committee of the U.S. Board of Directors
– Define strategic technology roadmap for the organization to meet both internal and external requirements.
– Serve as technology knowledge expert on the executive leadership team and leader of the Technology Steering Committee to understand and speak to organizational requirements across departments (and in coordination with SIM International), and to direct project prioritization and implementation strategies according to broader organizational objectives.
– Oversee director of Software Services to equip and execute strategy in terms of software projects, system implementations, app support and software development according to the technology roadmap.
– Oversee director of Infrastructure & Service Desk to ensure organizational objectives are being met regarding infrastructure maintenance and improvement, security and compliance, and IT support and troubleshooting.
– Manage the Technology budget for SIM USA, including appropriate balance of staff, contractors, and vendors to meet project and support goals and implement planned system improvements.
– Be responsible for team management, including hiring, termination, and performance improvement of IT personnel.
– Establish and build relationships proactively across departments, sister-organizations, and external vendors.
– Perform administrative tasks required for the position, such as budget management, expense approval, and audits.
– Establish and maintain formal policies and procedures and compliance, including disaster recovery, computer and internet usage, PCI compliance, and an internal service level agreement for IT support.
– Oversee audits and recommendations conducted by external auditor as well as audits done by SIM auditors specifically related to technology.
– Serve as SIM USA’s spokesperson on technology matters.
– Function as senior executive with vendors related to technology services.
– Be staff person supporting the SIM USA Audit Committee.
– Provide strategic roadmap for all SIM USA technology.
– Recommend financially responsible staffing levels for SIM USA.
– Assess current technology performance and position and recommend any changes.
– Monitor SIM USA’s salary levels as compared to similar organizations and recommend any adjustments.
– Support the U.S. director as needed in all technology matters.
– Depth of knowledge and practice of applying appropriate Scripture and biblical principles to situations.
– Personal presence that will relate well with SIM personnel, professional service providers, and board members.
– Interpersonal attributes, experience, and gifts that will foster quick credibility.
– Ability to handle crises.
– Competent listening and communication (oral and written) skills.
– Willingness and ability to speak up among peers.
– Capacity to live with and maintain a high level of confidentiality.
– Emotional stability.
– Spiritual and natural gifts that align with the responsibilities of the role.
– Healthy lifestyle: physical, emotional, marriage/family, and relational.
– Life-long learner.
– Model for being exceptionally relational.
– Is or willing to be a missionary.
– A bachelor’s degree or greater in Computer Science, Computer and Business Information Systems or related. Management credentials preferred.
– At least 7 years’ experience managing IT department staff and strategy for a medium or large organization. Ten years’ experience or more preferred.
– Non-profit management and business experience preferred.
– Exceptional, demonstrated project management experience.
– Able to work with and supervise highly technical staff and vendors, as well as explain strategies and requirements to executive leadership and understand needs of all staff and constituency worldwide.
– Demonstrated knowledge in PCI Compliance and security standards and best security practices, management, documentation, and governance.
– Up to date in the latest technology trends, including private and public clouds, server virtualization technologies, mobile and application development best practices, communications, and project management tools.
– Enjoy a fast-paced, demanding environment, managing multiple people, project portfolios, and requirements simultaneously.
– Demonstrated experience in complex information systems and matters.
– Proven experience and ability to work well with executive leadership.
– Demonstrated experience in designing and executing a strategic plan.
– Demonstrated leadership initiative, while being part of a team.
– Familiarity with issues missionaries face.
– Proficiency in Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
Additional qualifications if candidate is coming from outside of SIM
– Strong faith in Jesus Christ as Savior and history of spiritual growth.
– God-honoring lifestyle.
– Regular attendee and member in good standing of a local, evangelical church.
– Passion for God’s global mission.
– Passion for and commitment to the ministry of SIM.
– Experience with international mission work.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com