Website SEND International
A 75-year story-rich global evangelical missions agency
POSITION: Director of Personnel & Missionary Care, SEND International of the US
CLASSIFICATION: Exempt, Full-Time (40 hours)
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
LOCATION: Although SEND US is located in Farmington Hills, MI, this role can be done within the Great Lakes/Mid-West Region
The Director of Personnel & Missionary Care attends to SEND’s greatest and most strategic asset: its people. This position will effectively oversee the recruiting, hiring, onboarding, training, development, and care of our personnel, including new and veteran missionaries in a way that positively impacts attraction, recruitment, attrition, retention, and morale.
Our ideal Director of Personnel & Missionary Care will have these essential skills and traits:
Believe in and own the vision, mission, and values of SEND International
Committed to organizational goals, policies, and practices
Be a leader who champions culture and has a mindset of getting to “yes”
Have a strong desire to see SEND US staff and missionaries grow and thrive
Have the ability and desire to enhance the function and operation of the Personnel & Missionary Care team
Understand the intersection of HR, Member Care and Spiritual Formation
Pursue relationships throughout the organization
Trustworthy with sensitive or confidential information – knows how to manage information with discretion and respect
Spiritually mature, approachable
Humility, teachability, committed to personal growth
Relates well to all ages, ethnic backgrounds, orthodox spiritual perspectives and practices
Works with and under authority
Not a lone ranger, works through others, develops others, collaborates well
Develops and fosters deep relationships with SEND US leadership and operations to ensures execution and prioritization of HR strategies, initiatives, goals and business plans
· Develop resources and training that allow our staff to grow, thrive and effectively carry out the mission of SEND International in the sending out of missionaries cross-culturally.
· Manage and empower the Member Care & Development team to deploy healthy, resilient, and effective missionaries who report feeling valued, understood, and cared for. This will include coaching and training SEND members, training MKs and their parents, shepherding a developmental growth process, and providing any needed support services.
· Manage and empower the Human Resources Administrator to carry out essential employee relations tasks that ensure compliance with state and federal laws and HR best practices.
· Ensure that all personnel records, statistics, and reports are accurate and up to date and that standards of confidentiality are maintained.
· Collaborate with sending church and receiving area leaders to ensure open communication and good coordination regarding any concerns or assignment changes involving one of their missionaries.
· Collaborate with Church Engagement Team to conduct new missionary orientation and training
· Conduct Reconnect Retreats for home service missionaries to provide necessary time for reflection, debriefing, networking, and equipping.
· Oversee the work of the Retiree Care Coordinators so that our retirees and ambassadors remain informed and connected.
Provide resources and coaching to SEND US and SEND International leadership in handling situations that are emotionally charged e.g., grief, conflict, discipline, psych evals, educ resources, etc.
Work with sending churches in addressing any gaps in missionary care and development or handling situations that are emotionally charged e.g., grief, conflict, discipline, emergency evacuation, education resources, etc.
Recommend training or equipping resources to develop SEND US leadership in handling staff issues appropriately.
Recommend or facilitate the provision of outside services when appropriate, i.e., medical help, psychological evaluations, educational resources, etc.
Build/maintain referral/resource network for SEND US (counselors, pastors, spiritual directors)
Identify mission trends, world trends, generational trends, etc. that impact care for staff and missionaries
· Manage department budget.
Ministry Partner Development
· Maintain personal financial/prayer support; funding level set by SEND and evaluated regularly
· This position is directly responsible for leading the PMC Team which includes Member Care Coaches, MK Care Coordinator, HR Administrator and P/T Admin Assistant.
· Supervise all US appointees and members on home service through assigned Member Care coaches.
DESIRABLE SKILLS AND TRAITS
· Successful field experience within our organization or another missions organization
· Overseas missions experience
· International perspective (global outlook)
· Training in member care and/or spiritual formation skills
· Preference is for someone based in Michigan
· Preference is for someone with successful department level leadership experience
· Willing to travel to field programs/staff locations.
This job operates hybrid office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as laptop computers, smartphones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and scanners.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
This position requires up to 25% travel. Some of the travel may be international.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· A BS/BA degree from an accredited college/university; MBA or MA/MS in related field preferred.
· A minimum of 5 years of experience IN related field.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org