Website ABWE, Inc.
We are seeking an individual who loves to cook and has the gift of hospitality! This unique position will allow you to use your culinary skills in service to the Lord. You will have the opportunity to work alongside our world-class chef as you prepare delicious meals for our missionaries and staff. The qualified applicant loves the Lord, loves people, and has a heart to serve!
The Chef’s Assistant will work under the supervision of the Food Services Manager/Head Chef and will assist in food preparation for events (breakfast pastries, simple desserts, salads, salad dressings, soups, etc.), buffet set-up, event-set up, receiving of inventory, and event clean-up and teardown. The Chef’s Assistant will insurance the kitchen area and equipment are clean, safe, and sanitized. Food preparation performed by the chef may include mixing, baking, chopping, and basic cooking. The Chef’s Assistant will assist guests and work alongside and give directions to kitchen volunteers. Due to the seasonal nature of food preparation, the Chef’s Assistant will also assist Facilities with simple cleaning and grounds work.
The ideal candidate has a passion for cooking and a desire to serve others, a “clean as you go” mentality, and views food service as a ministry to ABWE guests, missionaries, and staff.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Working under the supervision of the Food Services Manager/Head Chef to assist in kitchen and food preparation (with recipes provided by the Chef) for conference groups ranging in volume from 10-150 guests.
- Receiving food and product orders, recording supply use, aiding in re-ordering of supplies, and maintaining inventory.
- Assisting in the supervision of kitchen volunteers and interns.
- Cleaning and preparing cooking stations, insuring the sanitary conditions and operating order of kitchen appliances, equipment, food storage areas and the kitchen itself.
- Assisting with event set-up, buffet set up, event clean up and teardown.
- Assisting as needed with cleaning and grounds work.
- Performs other duties or special projects as required or as assigned.
Qualifications: Ability to pass background check and all necessary clearances as mandated by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Education: High School Diploma or GED required, Associates Degree preferred.
Certification/Licensure Required: ServSafe certified.
Minimum Prior Experience Required: Previous related experience preferred.
- Joy-filled personal faith rooted in Jesus Christ and a heart to serve.
Functional sensitivity of senses (sight, smell, taste, touch, hearing).
- Strong cooking skills including a working knowledge of culinary preparation: knife skills, mixing, baking, proper handling of hot and cold food items, and sanitation.
- Able to follow recipes and convert recipes.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong relational and communication skills.
- Energetic and deadline oriented.
- Displays flexibility and adaptability.
- Able to work alone or in a team environment.
- Able to work with minimal supervision.
- Self-disciplined and exhibits sound judgment.
- A willingness to occasionally work outside of normal business hours and work overtime.
ABWE is a Christian organization, and it is necessary that employees possess and maintain a lifestyle that is above reproach. Employees are encouraged to participate in staff events including corporate and departmental prayer times and staff meetings and lunches.
All ABWE employees must:
- Be a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ and able to articulate a personal testimony of salvation.
- Be walking in Christ-like obedience to Biblical standards in ways that evidence a transforming relationship with Jesus Christ, particularly as outlined in ABWE’s Christian Code of Conduct.
- Be a current and active member and/or regular attendee of a like-minded local church that aligns doctrinally with ABWE.
- Be able to fully support ABWE’s mission, vision, core values, doctrinal statement, and ministry philosophy.
- Be able to follow all guidelines set forth in the ABWE International Headquarters Handbook.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to lift and carry up to 50 pounds; stand and walk for extended periods of time; climb and balance on a step stool/ladder; stoop, kneel, and crouch; sustain repetitive arm and hand motion; work under a variety of conditions and temperatures, wet and dry, for extended periods of time; work safely around kitchen machinery and sharp knives.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and salvation testimony/faith story to firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com