If you had been there, you would have seen three missionary families gathered together around a campfire singing joyously the hymns that they’d sung so often before. Listening in, you would have heard the mellow whining of a harmonica and the accompaniment of an accordion.
- Peer 2 Peer for Marketing and Communications Staff: Foundations for an Effective Communications DepartmentTue May 17 2022, 02:00pm EDT
- CEO Thought Leader Briefing: Woke Driving Conditions: Navigating the New Political EnvironmentWed May 18 2022, 01:00pm EDT
- Evangelical Views on Women in Ministry & Marriage: Differences in Interpretation, Not InspirationFri May 20, 2022, 04:00 PM PDT
- Webinar: An Introduction to the Theology and Practice of Cross-Cultural RiskThu May 26 2022, 12:00pm EDT
- Pocket Guide to Being a Missions Pastor: 5 Things Every Missions Pastor Needs to KnowWed Jun 1 2022, 01:00pm EDT
Writing for adult unskilled readers, like writing for children, is a highly demanding skill.
October 15, 1969, was “Moratorium Day” all across the United States. A wide variety of veterans groups, student organizations and impromptu gatherings protested the war in Viet Nam, calling for an immediate moratorium on the war. That day I was scheduled to speak in chapel at a Christian college.
Every foreign missionary has some custom-free mental and emotional baggage that accompanies him in every contact with national Christians and non-Christians. Decisions and actions are often based on his culturally acquired sense of rightness. The effective missionary recognizes this “cultural overhang” and gets beyond it.
From a safe distance of 1700 years Christians enjoy identifying with the Christian martyrs of the first three centuries. Sunday school teachers shock their children with hair-raising accounts of how Christians were fed to the lions in the Colosseum.
One of the greatest challenges today in world evangelism is the fact that Christianity is still considered “the white man’s religion” by hundreds of millions of people. To accept Christ as their Savior, non-whites around the world may think they would have to be disloyal to their people and to their own culture.